Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Haunted House, Part 1

The Haunted House, Part 1
By: Kathryn

                                                                             1955
"Nobody dares go over there," a boy said. A group of children were walking home from school and peering up at the top of a hill, where a house stood.
"They're just being silly," 9 year-old Jean Miller laughed.
"I bet you wouldn't go," another boy taunted.
"Of course I would!" She cried.
"Prove it," the group of children exclaimed. The eager eyes watched as Jean took a deep breath and glanced nervously at her best friend, Carrie. She started to climb the hill.
The old house was abandoned, and rumored to be haunted. The shutters creaked and swayed in the slight breeze. The paint on the siding was long gone, and the porch about to fall apart.
She stopped at the crooked porch steps, and gazed up at the house.
"Go inside!" the children shouted. She gulped. Go inside? It took enough courage to go this far! As much as she wanted to prove she was brave, she couldn't bring herself to go inside the old house. The children kidded her as she ran back down the steep hill.
"Aw, you should have gone inside!"
"Are ya' scared?"
"Chicken!"
"I am not chicken!" Jean snapped.
"You couldn't go inside that house if your life depended on it!"
"I would if-if someone went with me," she said. Suddenly the group became silent. No one volunteered. Jean looked at Carrie. Carrie gave her a worried look.
"I-I don't think I want to do that," she said, shaking her head.
"Fine! Than I'll do it myself!" Jean marched up the hill. When she reached the rickety porch, she slowly and cautiously climbed the steps. She turned the rusty door handle, and the door creaked loudly. She stepped inside. It was pitch black. All was silent. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she saw a large wooden staircase.
But before she could climb it, a wooden floor board behind her creaked. She whirled around. 

Now you add a part! And then I'll add one, and so on. We will try to finish it at the most with ten parts. Then we can move on to a new story!
Later,
Kathryn :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment